Head of Data Engineering
Builtin have named us one of the best places to work in Chicago.
Our staff are committed to continuously improving. They’re not afraid of hard work. And they have passion coursing through their veins.
If this sounds like you, keep reading.
Role: Head of Data Engineering
Location: Manchester based office – Hybrid working
Package: £80k-£90k + bonus
Head of Data Engineering
PHMG is embarking on an exciting new phase in its journey, focusing on modernizing our data capability and enhancing the way we work. This evolution presents numerous opportunities to leverage data more effectively, allowing us to better serve our customers and colleagues. As part of this growth, we are expanding our team to maximize the value from the wealth of data stored within the organisation.
To support this vision, we are seeking a Head of Data Engineering. This pivotal role involves leading the Data Engineering team and working closely with the Director of Data & Analytics. The successful candidate will mentor the team, fostering effective engineering practices and cultivating a culture of technical excellence and continuous improvement.
This is a very exciting opportunity for someone who wants to take the next step in their data journey, help in developing the data engineering community of practice, define data standards across the organisation and be part of the team driving the first phase of PHMG’s Data Strategy. Join us on this remarkable journey as we embark on a new era of data-driven innovation at PHMG.
The role: What you will do:
- Manage and mentor the Data Engineering team
- Design, build and run enterprise data solutions and tooling.
- Influence and contribute towards the next phase of our data strategy.
- Overseeing the data engineering delivery.
- Own, develop and maintain the data warehouse and all data pipelines
- Work closely with other technical teams across the business to support data modelling and data migrations.
- Strong collaborative ties with the IT and other engineering functions
This is an exciting role for a Data Engineering Lead who has:
- Strong analytical and problem-solving abilities
- Proficiency with using AWS or other cloud platform technologies
- Demonstrable experience in leading data engineering teams
- A thorough understanding of modern ETL/ELT practises, frameworks, tooling, and execution environments
- A track record delivering enterprise scale data solutions, infrastructure and architecture.
- Advanced working knowledge of SQL and python.
- Experience of using modern data warehouse platforms such as Snowflake, Redshift and Big query
- Experience building and optimizing data pipelines and architectures.
- Proficient in data modelling for reporting and insights teams, ideally using dbt or other tool
- Knowledge of emerging technologies and how they can be used to solve modern business problems.
- Experience with data quality and governance best practices
- Experience with tools such as jira to manage an agile team
Nice to have experience:
- Working with data orchestration tools, such as Airflow and Dagster
- Using reverse ETL tools to load data into operational systems such as Salesforce or other CRM
- Understanding of the Data Science modelling lifecycle and DataOps
- Using Databricks to build and maintain data pipelines
- Administering Power BI or Tableau
- Managing tool which manage infrastructure as code such as Terraform or CloudFormation
The Data & Analytics department serves as the central hub for data engineering and insights across our organization, comprising four essential teams: Data Engineering, Reporting, Commercial Data, and Data Science. Our department operates as a unified force, cultivating a culture that empowers both analysts and engineers to excel. We foster collaboration through regular hackathons, team events, and knowledge-sharing initiatives.
Our department's director recognizes that effective business intelligence is not the sole responsibility of one department but a capability that should permeate the entire organization. To achieve this, we view the data department as an enabler of self-serve analytics, accomplished through robust data management, governance, and education initiatives. This approach ensures that business intelligence is accessible and leveraged across the organization, driving data-driven decision-making at all levels.
Why PHMG Tech?
The IT, Data & Engineering functions within PHMG has been going through a digital transformation, changing how we deliver value to our business. A big part of this change is fostering a culture of being open and honest, collaborating, having fun and enabling psychological safety.
We want to create a place for teams to do their best work, and you will have the opportunity to influence our decisions, help define standards across the teams and contribute to a healthy and happy working environment.
Established in 1998, PHMG has grown from a renowned Manchester-based business to the world’s leading audio branding agency – working with 36,000 clients in 54 countries across the globe. This expansive client list includes household names of the calibre of Samsung, Audi and Adidas, as well as SMEs in every sector of the global market. We give each of them a stellar production that combines creative copy, world-class voice artistry and an exclusive Brand-Sound-Track™ – strengthening their business identity in the most memorable, emotive way.